Monday, October 15 announcements
1. Picture day is THIS Wednesday in the afternoon — bring your smile.
2. On Wednesday, October 24, during lunch, GSA is hosting an ice cream social. It will be a safe place to ask questions with no judgment — just a friendly discussion. If you want to ask questions anonymously, there is a drop-box in the office. We will read and answer questions during the ice cream social. We ask that you come with an open mind and a positive mental attitude — and stay/participate.
3. The all-school dance is on Friday, October 26 from 7-9pm. Students are allowed to bring a guest. It is free for students and $5 per guest. Get guest permission forms from Jon in the office. A Haunted House will follow the dance. There is no fee but donations are accepted, but not expected. The Haunted House is also for NCS friends and family.
Haunted House happenings: Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday of this week, Denise will stay after school until 5 pm for decorating. There will be a Haunted House planning meeting in Denise's room Tuesday at lunch. Bring your costumes if you can.
4. Spirit Week
October 29: Tie Dye Day
October 30: Idol Day
October 31: Halloween Day
November 1: Pajama Day
November 2: Favorite Color Day
Prizes for each day you dress
5. Do you know a teen with a drug or alcohol problem? Adolescent and Family Services can help! With clinics located at Oregon Social Learning Center and Centro Latino Americano, AFS is providing a proven, family-based drug treatment program for teens (ages 12-18) in English and Spanish. 20-24 weeks of individualized treatment is provided at no cost to families, as part of a research study. Parents and teens learn new skills to deal with drug and alcohol problems in weekly one-on-one counseling sessions specialized to fit the needs of each family. For more info see https://www.odiclinic.org/afs/ or contact Julie Marchini at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-284-7560.
6. The McKenzie River Gathering of the Robots (MRGR) is a FREE event on Saturday, November 10th from 10am-5pm. LaneSTEM, the U of O Computer Sciences and the South Eugene Robotics team invite anyone and everyone to join us at the U of O Ford Alumni Center (1720 E 13th Ave, Eugene, OR 97403) for a fun day filled with robots, live demos, STEM workshops and networking opportunities.
Be sure to register if you plan to attend and encourage your students to do the same: https://sert2521.org/mrgr/
7. Clubs this week: Smash Bros now meets Mondays in Amber's Room. Movie Club begins this Monday, after school, starting out in Amber’s room. Anime Club meets in Denise's room on Tuesdays and Magic the Gathering is in Wendy/Billy’s room. And as always, GSA meets Wednesday at lunch in Denise's room.
8. Don’t forget: CAHOOTS is here every Monday morning from 10am-12pm and Wednesday afternoons, 1:30-3:30pm. Sign up with Jon.
9. This Friday is Community Service Day! Go to your regular class and your teacher will take you on a Community Service project which will count towards your community service hours.
10. 60 students qualified for the weekly drawing for excellent attendance, which is really wonderful! Please see Jon for your award before or after school, or during lunch or breaks.
Monday, October 8th announcements
1) There is no school this Friday, October 12th. If you enjoy working with younger kids, you are familiar with the yurt and Alton Baker Park, and need community service hours, Nearby Nature would love for you to volunteer at the No School Day Adventure this Friday 8:30-3pm. The adventure will cover map and compass skills to find treasure along with fun games to hone sneaking skills. Talk to Wendy or email ShyAnne - email@example.com
2) Carly would like to remind students of the water drinking policy at main site: please use the drinking fountain in the morning (before breakfast) and in the afternoon (after lunch). Water service (including cups and mugs) will be available during mealtimes only. It's disruptive when people come into the kitchen to get a cup or mug during meal prep and cleanup. Carly appreciates your support with these matters. The kitchen is not capable of keeping up with the volume of non-meal time dishes - it adds up! Please utilize the water bottle filling station during all times outside of mealtimes.
3) CAHOOTS is here every Monday morning from 10am-12pm and every Wednesday from 1:30-3:30pm, providing students support and resources for mental health and medical needs at this free drop-in clinic. Sign up with Jon to see a Cahoots counselor, if you wish.
4) Jon has the Student Feedback Form which students can complete when they would like to report on an issue of concern; something with admin, a teacher, or another student; concerns with facilities; etc. Students can fill out the form anonymously if that is more comfortable. Additionally, a student can request that an administrator address the issue directly, or ask for mediation. Completed reports should be submitted to Jon. Students have a voice in this community, and concerns will be taken seriously.
5) There’s another new club starting this week! Anime club meets in Denise's room after school on Tuesdays. Also on Tuesdays after school, we have Smash Bros in Amber's Room, and Magic the Gathering in Wendy/Billy’s room. Movie club begins this Monday after school in Amber’s room. Plus there is GSA every Wednesday at lunch in Denise's room.
6) Thank you to everyone for cleaning at the end of classes and at the end of the day! This week, Tom’s classes will be in charge of cleaning the common areas. Get the list from Jon.
7) Remember to email firstname.lastname@example.org if you witness or experience any bullying. Emailing is always confidential.
8) See K if you are interested in having your art displayed in the yearbook.
9) At main site, we are no longer allowing students to leave campus with tableware, i.e. plates, bowls, cups and silverware. These items are being found all over the neighborhood on a daily basis, or not being returned at all. Losing so many plates etc. makes it hard for Declan to be able to serve everyone breakfast or lunch. Also, Carly would like to encourage students to sit down and take a moment to enjoy and appreciate their food and friends. We don't have a budget to replace lost items, or to purchase single-use items so that food can be eaten on the run. There will be a small number of single-use items for students, if there is an urgent need or in unusual circumstances.
That being said, if anyone has leftover picnic/party supplies or extra tableware, please feel free to donate!
10) Upcoming Dates to Note
No School on Friday, October 12.
Picture day is Wednesday, October 17.
Community service day is Friday, October 19. Middle school students do not have school this day.
Spirit week is the week of October 29.
The All-school Dance and Haunted House will be Friday, October 26.
12) We will have a table set up Monday at lunch for students to register to vote! All students 16+ can register, and anyone who turns 18 before Nov 6 can vote in the upcoming election! You will need a Oregon state ID, or the last 4 digits of your social security number, or a driving permit. NCS ID won't work. Come register to vote! The deadline for this election is Oct. 12th!
13) 48 students qualified for the drawing for excellent attendance this week! We entered their names into an automated randomizer and the winners were announced in class.
That’s it for now – Have a wonderful week!
Monday, October 1st announcements
1) Jon and Dustin now have a "Student Feedback Form" which students can complete when they would like to report: an event in class; an admin, teacher, or student issue; a concern with facilities, etc. Students can submit the form anonymously if that is more comfortable. Additionally, a student can request that an administrator address the issue, or ask for mediation. Completed reports can be submitted to anyone on the admin team. We want to assure students that they have a voice in this community, and their concerns will be taken seriously.
Students may want to complete a form if:
- An administrator, teacher, or student made a comment/action, intentionally or unintentionally, which made you feel uncomfortable, angry, or humiliated;
- A teacher's lesson was particularly fun or interesting;
- A teacher did something that really brightened your day or helped you through a bad time;
- Someone on the staff appears to be intentionally singling you out, treating you unfairly, or failing to hear your concerns;
2) CAHOOTS is here every Monday morning from 10am-12pm and every Wednesday from 1:30-3:30pm, providing students support and resources for mental health and medical needs at this free drop-in clinic. Some of the services provided include: mental health counseling; mediation with family or friends; food, clothing, sexual health and hygienic support, and more. Jon has a sign up sheet in his office.
3) There’s a new club starting this week- movie club begins on Monday after school. Other clubs are:
-GSA every Wednesday at lunch in Denise's room. The GSA is a safe queer space for students, staff also welcome.
-Smash Bros on Tuesdays after school in Amber's Room.
-Magic the Gathering on Tuesdays after school in Wendy/Billy’s room.
4) A reminder to students - Making tea/cocoa/coffee is a break only activity. Please do not ask your teachers to make a cup of tea during class time.
5) Thank you to everyone for cleaning at the end of classes and at the end of the day! The space looks awesome! This week’s common area cleaners are: Billy’s class MWF and Mari’s class on TTH.
6) Remember to email email@example.com if you witness or experience any bullying. We will keep your name completely confidential.
7) Save the date! Spirit week is the week of October 29. The all-school dance and Haunted House will be Friday, October 26th. More info coming soon. If you signed up to help with the Haunted House, meet in Denise’s room during lunch to assign roles.
8) Picture day is Wednesday, October 17th. More details to come.
9) Interested in having your art displayed in the yearbook? Koi has signs up with info. Check it out or find him and ask.
10) 27 students were entered in the weekly drawing for excellent attendance this week! Please see Jon for details before or after school, or during lunch or breaks!
Monday, September 24 announcements
1) Dustin reminds students that all schedule changes must be turned in (completed) by the end of lunch, on Wednesday, Sept. 26th. Late schedule change requests will not be considered.
2) Reminder that the Gay-Straight Alliance, or GSA, meets every Wednesday at lunch in Denise's room. The GSA is a safe queer space for students, staff also welcome. We will plan some events, provide education, talk and laugh. Grab your lunch and come join us.
3) Come play Smash Bros Tuesdays after school in Amber's Room! Magic the Gathering is also on Tuesdays after school in Wendy/Billy’s room.
4) Thank you to Amber and Michelle’s classes for cleaning the common areas last week. This week’s cleaners are from Carly’s classes on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Wendy’s classes on Tuesday and Thursday. Thank you!!
5) If you witness any bullying, if you are the victim of bullying, if you see cyber bullying happening, the administration has created a confidential bullying reporting email. If you email firstname.lastname@example.org, we will keep your name completely confidential and we will be able to follow up and investigate bullying. Please continue to treat each other well!
6) 14 students had excellent attendance this week! We entered their names into an automated randomizer and 5 have been selected. Please see Jon for details, and/or to collect your reward during breaks or lunch.
Monday, September 17 announcements
1) Network offers many clubs:
-GSA meets every Wednesday at lunch in Denise's room. The GSA is a safe queer space for students, staff also welcome. We will plan some events, provide education, talk and laugh. Grab your lunch and come join us.
-Come play Smash Bros Tuesdays after school in Amber's Room!
-Magic the Gathering is on Tuesdays after school in Wendy/Billy’s room.
-If a student is interested in starting a club, s/he must have demonstrated interest from other students and find a teacher to sponsor it.
2. Denise would like to meet with all 9th graders during (dis)connect at Heartwise, for the 9th grade on track meeting, on Wednesday September 19th. It will take about an hour.
3. We are starting common area cleaning today, at the end of the day. This week’s PM classes that will pitch in are Amber’s on MWF and Michelle’s on TTh. Your teachers will give you instructions. Thank you!!
4. Network takes bullying very seriously. If you witness any bullying, if you are the victim of bullying, if you see cyber bullying happening, we (the administration) have created a confidential bullying reporting email. If you email email@example.com, we will keep your name completely confidential and we will be able to follow up and investigate bullying. Please treat each other well. We are a small, close-knit community school and want to make sure everyone feels safe, and can learn and thrive here at Network.
5. Thirty three students were entered for excellent attendance this week! We entered their names into an automated randomizer and 5 students were selected. Please see Jon in the front office for additional details.